Student Accommodation Information

Accommodation while at uni provides opportunities for you to develop friendships with other students. It also is of great benefit to you if you are unfamiliar with the Brisbane area, or living away from home for the first time.

There are a range of accommodation options available while you study at CHC. If you are in doubt about what type of accommodation to choose contact Linda Pearson on

Types of Accommodation

Uniresort (above, left)

Uniresort offers single room with private ensuite, a common lounge, dining, kitchen area is shared with three other students. Uniresort is located 10 minutes from CHC and only a short walk to the major shopping centre Garden City and the south-east busway, which is a major public transport hub.  Accommodation at Uniresort includes secure, undercover parking, access to gym, spa, sauna, tennis court, pools and BBQ areas. For more information, click here.

Genesis (above, centre)

Genesis1 has a 174 students in residence. 75% are from overseas and 70% of all students are female. Genesis 1 promotes a study and security conscious environment. Contracts are for a minimum of six months with no penalty to extend. For more information, click here.

Caravan Parks (above, right)

Caravan parks affordable nightly/weekly rentals for short or long term accommodation.

Shared Accommodation: finding a room with other students or Christian families in the local area. Please make sure you are aware of tenancy rights before sharing.

Private Rental: renting a place by yourself with one or two others.

Securing comfortable, affordable accommodation with the right people can take time. CHC recommends that you begin your search well before your first day at College. Alternately the Mansfield area offers plenty of quality rental accommodation obtained through independent external organisations such as local real estate agencies and/or share accommodation web sites.

Code of Conduct

It is important CHC students remember that while occupying student residence they should, at all times, observe the CHC student code of conduct. In accordance with the code of conduct students should be mindful that engaging in activities such as, but not limited to, the following could jeopardise their eligibility for accommodation.

                  • Any unlawful or criminal activity
                  • Impairing the reasonable freedom of others to pursue study, scholarly integrity, or any other lawful activity
                  • Harassment which contravenes the anti-Discrimination Act 1991
                  • Any activity or omission which endangers the safety or health of another person whether that be physical or psychological
                  • Creating a disturbance or being disorderly on the property of CHC, Citipointe, or in student residency
                  • Using insulting, threatening language
                  • Frightening or injurying wildlife
                  • Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs

Students in Crisis If you find yourself or a fellow student in a crisis contact CHC on 07 3347 7900. For life threatening situations contact Qld Emergency Services (ph. 000). CHC’s Pastoral Care department will be notified when issues arise in student accommodation. Qualified counsellors, youth workers and support networks are available to assist students through crisis.

Emergencies Emergencies of a medical or police nature should be referred to the authorities first, and then to the College. • Police: phone 3364 3102 • Ambulance: phone 000 • Local Doctors: phone 3219 4211, 3849 2884, 3216 8500 • Local Dentists: phone 3422 2460 or 3349 7749

Other If necessary, any problems concerning student accommodation should be directed to the CHC Accommodation Officer on 07 3347 7900. Emergencies of a medical or police nature should be referred to the authorities first, and then to CHC. For further information concerning your legal rights and responsibilities as a tenant please refer to the Residential Tenancies Authority.

Frequently Asked Questions

This section addresses some of the most frequently asked questions from students in rooming style accommodation (as supplied by RTA). If the information you are looking for is not here you can also contact the CHC Accommodation Officer or the Residential Tenancies Authority.

Going on Holidays Q. What if I am going home during the break, but want to return to the same room? A. If you are going home on holidays but wish to leave your belongings and return to your room, you will be required to pay full rent for the room.

Damage to the room/s Q. What happens if something breaks or is damaged during the tenancy? A. If you or your visitors cause some damage, you are responsible for having it fixed. This may mean replacing an item, paying to have it fixed or deducting the cost out of your bond.

Bond Q. What is bond? A. A rental bond that you pay at the beginning of a tenancy which the lessor/agent can claim if you owe money for rent, damages or other costs at the end of the agreement. The rental bond is not the same as paying rent in advance.

Moving out of your accommodation Q. What should I do at the end of my accommodation? A. Before the end of a fixed term agreement, you will need to decide whether you will: -Move out. If you are deciding to move out you must give the lessor/agent a Notice of Intention to Leave form, available from the (RTA) -Stay under a new fixed term agreement. Continue paying rent. -Stay under a periodic agreement. You will sign a new lease agreement.

Keeping written records Q. Why does everything have to be in writing? A. The law requires that agreements are in writing to ensure you and the lessor/agent know what is legally required. Make sure you keep copies of all paper work.

Rent Assistance

Rent Assistance is a payment provided by the government to help you pay your rent. It gives you extra assistance if have a low income. Please refer to the Centrelink website and visit their Home/Individuals/Payments section.

Eligibility Q. Who can get Rent Assistance? A. To qualify for Rent Assistance a person must be living in Australia. Rent Assistance may be payable to: Pensioners, or People who are: – Partnered, or – Aged over 25, or – Single under 25 living apart from parents or guardians, or – ABSTUDY/AUSTUDY recipients.

Rates of Rent Assistance The rate of Rent Assistance you receive will depend on: – The number of dependent children you have – Whether you are partnered or single – Your age – The amount of rent you pay, and – If you share accommodation with others.

How is Rent Assistance paid? Rent Assistance is paid through Centrelink as a regular payment.

Proof of Rent If you claim rent Assistance you will be required to provide Centrelink with: – A current tenancy agreement (lease) which shows the amount of rent you pay, or – A completed rent certificate signed by your landlord. Centre link will give you this form.

When should I contact Centrelink? You must tell Centrelink straight away if: – The amount of rent changes – You start or stop sharing your accommodation or the number of people sharing changes – The amount of your income changes, or – You become partnered or separate.

Disclaimer The information contained in this Rent Assistance publication is intended only as a guide. For more information on Rent Assistance please contact the Centrelink website or phone Centrelink Freecall 1800 050 004.